Friday, December 11, 2009

Are Aesthetics a Good Reason Not to Be a Fan of Wind Power?


http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=earth-talks-aesthetics-good-reason

Ask yourself the question you read at the beginning of the article: "Are Aesthetics a Good Reason Not to Be a Fan of Wind Power?". For me the answer is clear - it is not a reason at all. This article atracted my attention because I was wondering what arguements people have, who argue against power-generating wind farms.
The only reason I could find is that people just fell uncomfortable looking at the weels. They treat the wind-farms as ‘spoiling’ and ‘ruining’ the landscape. Well, how about coal-fired power plant then? Does it look better? People who blame wind-plans have probably never lived next to coal-fired power plant, and have no idea how ugly it is. There are three plants around my home-time, and I everyday I saw how they polluted the air. You can not change it, you can not make it look better. Those are just ugly plants. But look at the windmills. They can be decorated in any ways you can imagine, they don't have an harm, orat lt much less than other sourse of energy. Even if the mills were the ugliest constractions in the world, but let people get "clean' energy without polluting air and using the est ofouratural non-renewable sours, I'd be glad too have them as many as possible.
Now it's not the time to worry about our comfortables, especialy such small as somebody's aesthetics. We should think globally, and if there is a chance to go better way we should use it.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, that aesthetics are not a reason to discard wind energy as a viable renewable energy source. I think that the aesthetic value of preserving natural areas and biodiversity is much higher than any potential negative aesthetic appeal from wind power plants. Wind energy actually helps to improve the aesthetics of the environment, by reducing air pollution and providing clean energy that will in turn aid in stopping global warming and preserving biodiversity. I would rather have a wind energy plant than a coal-powered plant any day. I actually think that the turbines have a sleek, futuristic, and appealing look that seems to usher in a new age of environmental responsibility and sustainability. Because the ecological and environmental impact would be so positive if wind energy, or any other renewable source, would replace polluting, non-renewable fossil fuels, I sincerely hope that aesthetics and a "not in my backyard" mentality do not become a major roadblock in the path to sustainability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I complelty argee with what you said. There is no reason I can think of that would put me on the other side of this debate. Wind energy is very powerful and could provide electricity for whole communities if we were more able to harvest this energy. More sustaniable and ecologically better forms of energy need to be used and created if we are ever going to solve any of the earths current issues. I also find the fields covered with the wind mills to be very cool and interesting looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with both of you all about this argument. Aesthetics are, in my opinion, the least concern that anyone should have about wind energy. It is one of the cleanest energy source and i think that it has the capability of slowing down, not stopping, global warming. I don't think that global warming will ever stop because to a certain extent it is a natural occurrence , but it would help to slow down the mess that humans have caused.

    Also i have been at a coal power plant before and i do know how dirty they are and how ugly they look. It just screams POLLUTION but there's nothing i can do standing next to it. Windmills are a way better way to go and shouldn't be put into question because of their aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete