Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Copenhagen's Real Challenge: Technology to Meet the Targets

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,1929071,00.html
This article details the importance of technology as governments seek to reduce carbon emissions. While much talk has already occurred in Copenhagan about reducing carbon emissions, very little talk has occurred about investing in green technologies that can lower the use of fossil fuels and, hopefully, one day replace them. Although many, many number have been floated in Copenhagan, one number that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves is ten trillion. That is the amount of money estimated by think tank Breakthrough Institute necessary to set the world on the path to low carbon development.


I am somewhat of a cornucopianist. Although I don't think ALL of the world's ecological problems can be solved with technology, I do believe that the solution to global warming ultimately lies in creating a viable solution to fossil fuels and not waiting on people to stop driving cars. As the article itself explicitly states "...while global politics may shape how quickly and appropriately we structure our response to climate change, the actual work of reducing carbon emissions will ultimately be a technological problem. " Thus, I am amazed that countries are not doing more to invest in green technology research. No nation is anywhere close to putting adequate funds into green technology research, and I believe the first nation to start research will put itself in a fantastic position economically, socially, and, of course, technologically.


I think we desperately need to educate citizens about the possibilities of green technology. Although investing in technology is certainly a risk (there is no guarantee it will produce results that justify the costs), the potential payoff is huge- technology that allows humans to continue driving cars and enjoying the benefits of industrialization without destroying the planet. I believe if people around the world understand this, they will wholeheartedly embrace green technology research. Public sentiment has proven to be a powerful force in driving environmental policy changes, and I believe educating the public about green technology will certainly drive public sentiment to favoring green technology research.


Walsh, Bryan. "Copenhagan's Real Challenge: Technology to Meet the Targets." Time 09 Dec 2009: n. pag. Web. 9 Dec 2009. .

5 comments:

  1. I agree that education about green technologies is the most important thing, even if there is a risk involved, because it's a much better situation to have taken a risk and not gained much than to sit around and just wonder what alternatives will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, thanks for your great insights into this issue. I think that we at the Breakthrough Instiute agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment.

    We've made your writing our "Quote of the Day" on our website. You can access it here: www.thebreakthrough.org

    Keep up the great work.

    Best,

    Devon Swezey
    Project Director
    Breakthrough Institute

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we need to educate the people too. There are a lot of misconceptions behind global climate change, and one of them is that you need to live like they did in the 50's for change to happen. You can't drive cars, you have to walk everywhere, you need a bike, and so forth. Education will teach the masses that you don't have to live like a caveman for change to take place. You can still enjoy the perks of life, but they just need to be enjoyed more sparingly and more efficiently. I agree it will take a lot of money, but the benefits are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,
    When I first saw that you had 3 comments I immediately jumped on this hoping for an enlivened debate. Much to my dismay there was is in my opinion very little debate. Although I would say that I lean toward the ideas of Malthus, I believe that this is a critical argument if we are to solve global climate change. I believe that if you are to truely solve the issue of global warming we need to change our transportation. In fact last year we read an essay in english called "Cars and their Enemies." In this essay the author made the argument that if people have the money they are going to buy cars because it gives them free and it benefits them more than the outcomes. This to me has greatly impacted my view of transportation because it has shown to me what we really need to concentrate on when it comes to changing how we travel. We should not focus as much on public transportation because our society is built on cars, public transportation usually only works in larger cities, and I can honestly say that I can speak for everyone reading this that they would rather drive in a car than ride the bus than sit next to the homeless man on the subway or bus yelling at his dead father about why he never loved him. If people can aford it, people will use cars instead of the public transportation. Therefore I believe that we should concentrate on greening-individual transportation as opposed to installing public transit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Devon, thanks a lot! I checked out your website and was really impressed. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete